Every Now & Then…
Clearly built for entertaining distinguished guests, it is rumored that Leroy Eccles, who previously lived just South of his defining new Estate, built his larger and more stately house at 1029 25th Street in response to Mr. Bristol’s house which was located at 2480 Van Buren Avenue c 1912.
This Historic Italian Renaissance style home was designed by Leslie Hodgson and built for Leroy and his wife Myrtle in 1917, costing more than $100,000, which is equivalent to well over 2.5 million dollars by today’s measure. The grandiose Italian wood staircase , elegant stained glass windows, Tuscan columns, and red clay tile roof have survived through the various owners of the mansion. A peerless art nouveau window on the landing is said to have depicted the lavish sunken garden that formerly graced the estate.
LeRoy Eccles was vice President and general manager of the Amalgamated Sugar Company, and was also involved with the Ogden, Logan & Idaho Railroad. The historic Eccles mansion has transitioned through many parts of Ogden’s colorful history, serving for a time as the Weber Club.
In 1983 the mansion underwent an extensive renovation by the Kier Construction Company, investing upwards to $1.5 million; efforts which earned them prestigious recognition for their award winning work.
In October 2013, the LeRoy Eccles Estate was purchased by Debra Darrington Peterson, who has owned and operated the Chantilly Mansion Reception Center in Layton Utah since 1995. The celebrated Bellington Manor at the Historic Eccles Estate in Ogden Utah is now open to the public and will be operating as a Wedding Reception Center specializing in both indoor and outdoor Weddings, business dinners, company parties, and other special events.
In order to take its place among Utah’s top wedding venues, this historic Ogden reception center has again undergone an illustrious renovation, exposing and restoring the flawless hardwood floors, expanding and updating the West Ballroom, and restoring the South gardens for Outdoor Ceremonies and receptions.
Notable features of interest include the stately Italian Staircase and chandeliers imported in 1917, Tuscan Columns, absolutely exquisite oil paintings purchased and added to the mansion by the new owners, fabric covered walls, detailed hand carved woodwork throughout, and 2nd story balconies that overlook the picturesque Wasatch Front and Eccles Watermelon Park.
In 1893 David Eccles acquired the land from Ogden’s first Mayor, Lorin Farr and employed architect Leslie S. Hodgson to lay out the plat for a subdivision. The street splits, creating a large elliptical median know as Watermelon Park, a defining feature of the neighborhood, lined with century old Sycamore trees.
The intimate scale of the neighborhood, along with the shared oval lawn and park-like front lawns flow freely together, undivided by fences or walls, establishing the ideal landscape of the Arts & Crafts period in which it was designed.
We invite you to come and enjoy this estate every now and then…